• gcewcbe-naac
  • gcewcbe-p1
  • gcewcbe-p2
  • gcewcbe-p3
  • gcewcbe-p4
  • gcewcbe-p5
  • gcewcbe-p6
  • gcewcbe-p7
  • gcewcbe-p8
  • gcewcbe-p9
Slider for Website by WOWSlider.com v3.9

   Online Notice Board


           Government College of Education for Women is situated at the heart of the city of Coimbatore. It has been rendering invaluable service to teacher education. For more than half a century this institution has been the hub of academic activity training young teachers and conducting in-service programmes for serving teachers. Students of this college are serving in schools throughout the state. Immediately after independence the need for compulsory education arose and, as a result, separate schools for girls and separate colleges for women teachers were established. This college was started in 1956 to cater to the need for young teachers in emerging schools in the state. This college was inaugurated on 08.08.1956 by the then Central Minister for Industry and Commerce Mr.T.T.Krishnamachari at a function presided over by Mr.C.Subramaniam, the then State Minister for Education. The college was started with a modest strength of 75 students and 7 teachers. Mrs.N.Shanmugasundaram was the first Principal of this college. From 1997 onwards the college has been under the purview of NCTE. The college fulfils the requirements of NCTE and functions with its recognition. M.Ed. Degree (evening college) course was started in 1973 for the benefit of serving teachers. From 1993 the college has been offering M.Phil. and Ph.D.(Part-time) research programmes. This college stopped offering M.Ed. course in the year 2000 following the orders of the NCTE as the relevant rules and regulations had not been framed for conducting evening college courses. However, M.Ed. (regular Programme) was started in 2009-10 with the recognition of NCTE. In the last 56 years 20 Principals or Principals-in-charge have headed the institution. Students have no difficulty in reaching the college because of its location. The college has building and equipment facilities, Computer room, Psychology lab, Science labs, Language lab, Technology lab, Digital Library and adequate hostel facilities. Our mission is to provide quality education to the prospective teachers. We aim at moulding teachers with knowledge, skill and character contributing to the development of student-community in consonance with our motto: SERVICE, LOVE AND TRUTH. In the beginning the college was affiliated to the University of Madras. In 1982, the college was affiliated to Bharathiar University. From July 2008, the college has been functioning with affiliation to Tamilnadu Teachers Education University, Chennai. The college was accredited by NAAC with B+ status in 2001-2002. After celebrating the Golden Jubilee in 2007, the college was reaccredited by NAAC with B grade in April 2008.


Welcome to the official website of Government College of Education of Women, Coimbatore. The college has completed 57 years of its existence. The service rendered by the college in teacher education is remarkable. Teachers trained in the college work in many schools throughout Tamilnadu. The college hopes to march with determination towards more achievements in future.

More About Principal

©All RigGovt College of Education For Women, Coimbatore
Design by Global Info - Tech